General Description – Core Responsibilities
Umbrella: Responsible for underwriting program umbrella business.
Production and Underwriting
- Responsible for underwriting, pricing and processing accounts in accordance with DISTINGUISHED’s underwriting philosophy, service standards, program guidelines and personal underwriting authority. This includes gathering necessary information from brokers, negotiating with carriers, preparing & delivering proposals and soliciting feedback/expectations from brokers.
- Reviews loss runs; understand how loss frequency & severity might have an impact on accounts and anticipates using that information in marketing strategy with carriers.
- Creates quality referrals to upstream underwriting authority Program Manager on account submissions to carriers based on established delegated underwriting authority, guidelines and service standards.
- Identify account rounding opportunities, where applicable, four months in advance of the renewal date.
- Manage and track ongoing service requests from broker including endorsements, requests for policy information, certificates of insurance and other data.
- Binds policies in account and policy system and issues binders to brokers.
- Invoice accounts based on service standards .
- Maintain electronic file (ImageRight) on each account in accordance with established Best Practices Guidelines.
- Monitor designated reports to adherence to company Best Practices quality & service standards
- Respond to routine inquiries.
- Meets all file documentation standards; complies with underwriting and authority level standards,
- Responsible for completing periodic and timely underwriting audits and passes all audits (both internal and external).
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of program guidelines, forms and endorsements.
- Proficient in program rating methodology.
- Responsible for monitoring production, hit ratios, renewal retention ratios, and other production and quality measures.
- Support sales teams with new and existing retail brokerages and strategize with Sales Executives and Account Managers to grow the program
- Build and maintain effective professional/personal relationships with brokers.
- Contribute to presentations and sales calls, as requested by Sales Executive/Account Manager.
- Ability to overcome obstacles / barriers to close sales with advice from Sales Executive/Account Manager.
- Collect and report competitive data to assist in development and execution of our strategies.
- Meet with existing and prospective markets as required including periodic travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrate ability to analyze forms and conduct coverage comparisons
- Gain working knowledge of DISTINGUISHED programs, coverage and contracts;
- Working knowledge of market underwriting standards and procedures
- Demonstrated aptitude for computer based work management; ability to achieve expert skills in DISTINGUISHED agency system software
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems creatively
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize amongst various immediate needs
- Demonstrates mathematical aptitude
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Customer Focus
- Strong decision making and problem solving skill set
- Ability to develop working relationships with both internal and external customers.
- High level of interpersonal skills to deal effectively with retailers, business owners, carrier representatives, and co-workers
- Comfortable collaborating yet works independently and self-directed
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
Handles routine office work, drives to appointments, calls on customers and vendors in business settings, and completes air travel. Job requires data entry into computers, handling files, carrying a laptop computer.
Demonstrate working knowledge of phone systems and basic office machinery and equipment; Microsoft Office, ConceptOne, Duck Creek and any required carrier supported platforms.
Bachelor degree minimum education requirement
A valid Agent’s or Broker’s License per state requirements
Three to five years progressive advancement in commercial underwriting experience within the insurance industry.
Must occasionally be willing to work evenings, holidays, and weekends to meet business needs
Must occasionally be available to travel on business
Competitive compensation and benefits package (available on your first day) includes health, dental, life insurance, up to 4%, 401k match, and sabbatical program. PTO - up to 23 days.
Location is flexible:
Preferred: Bellevue and Denver Location
Bellevue,Denver, Chicago, Brooklyn